A Minute out of the Norm: St Patrick’s Day Shamrocks
I have to admit it… I have the perfect kitchen door. It is a sliding glass door that catches the morning sun, brings about afternoon shade and a perfect view of the evening stars. I am a light-person. I crave sun-shine. I LOVE a warm sunbeam. Winter can be long and hard on me, especially in cloudy, wintry northern-Ohio.
But back to that perfect kitchen door. It is a great spot to hang hand-made seasonal decor. We’ve hung painted-Easter egg crafts; Valentine Hearts; a cut-out snowflake or two; even some summer home-made flowers. If there is a decoration that can be made out of paper, made by a preschooler or grade-schooler … we have probably hung it on this door, if only for a week maybe two. Just a perfect touch to make my kitchen that much more of a feeling of family!
*E*, my first-grader, came home from school with a craft he had done, a very cute St Patrick’s Day Shamrock. I decided to replicate the project with *C*, my 4 year-old, for a little bit of early-March fun around the kitchen table.
- Start out with a shamrock, cut out of white paper. I used *E*’s from school as a pattern; but here is a pattern you can use.
- Rip up some green papers into 2-inch squares (roughly), different colors, different patterns, whatever you have around the house. *C* had some fun helping me do this ripping;
- Put glue all over the cut out shamrock. A glue stick worked really well for this;
- Then put the cut out papers all over the shamrock, covering the glue. This kind of gives the ‘stained-glass window effect.
- Don’t forget to encourage the kids to add their own special touches. I have a set of 4 little monster stamps and *C* really enjoyed putting those all over his completed shamrock.
- Then hang your shamrocks proudly 🙂 They may not be ‘museum’ quality but they are family quality! And isn’t that what the kitchen is all about?!
I hope you can take the time in this hustle and bustle world to spend ‘a minute or two’ out of the norm with your kids this week!
– Leanne from MilitaryAvenue.combyLeanneonMonday, March 08, 2010Email ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to FacebookShare to PinterestMilitary Life:Craft,Leanne,Minute out of the Norm,St Patricks Day