This weekend's visit was to meet my brand new nephew and niece. Twins!; born on January 3rd to my youngest brother, his wife and their two older sons.
I was excited to meet them but couldn't dream of putting work on the new family so I planned a big meal of Spaggetti and Meatballs. My brother, James, invited my folks over as well as my brother, Dan, and his family. I made enough to feed an army and it was a perfect meal.
Sure you can buy meatballs in the freezer section of your commissary but there is just something about homemade! I put the baby in the Bumbo and had these put together in less than an hour! I put them in the fridge and then cooked them up in pasta sauce two days later. Yum!
> 1 cup bread crumbs
> 1/2 cup water
> 2 eggs
> 1/4 cup grated Parmeson Cheese
> 1 tsp dried Parsley
> 1/4 tsp dried oregano
> 1 cup of finely-chopped carrots, very chopped, like food processor chopped
> 1 cup of spinach frozen or fresh, squeeze any extra liquid out in a paper towel
> 1 tsp salt
> Dash of pepper
> 1 to 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
> 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Combine bread crumbs and water
- Stir in eggs, Parmesan, carrots, spinach, herbs, salt, pepper.
- Add meat; mix well. (I use a stand-up mixer)
- With wet hands, form 20 to 24 balls.
- Heat oil and cook meatballs until brown, turning regularly, over low to medium heat.
- Place meatballs on paper towels to absorb any extra oil.
- If you are serving meatballs immediately, heat pasta sauce to a boil. Lower to a simmer, add meatballs, and cook, loosely covered for 30 to 40 minutes.
- If you are serving in a day or two place meatballs in an airtight container after absorbing oil and refrigerate. When you are ready to serve heat pasta-sauce as above
- Serve with spaghetti and /enjoy/!
Leanne from MilitaryAvenue.com