Saving is a mindset:
- Turn the lights and TV off when you leave the room
- Teach your children to be good-stewards. Explain why they need to close the door behind them, or turn the light off in their room after they leave
- Set up your TSP. Even just a small amount automatically saved each month is a great start!
- Empower yourself! Learn about the latest in savings, keep up to date with others' ideas. (We have some great articles to get you started: MilitaryAvenue.com Resources: Money & The Military)
A few more great suggestions. Head over to Military Saves, "a national campaign to persuade, motivate, and encourage military families to save money every month, and to convince leaders and organizations to be aggressive in promoting automatic savings". Take the pledge!
Then give back to others: MilitaryMoney.com on Facebook is asking how you save in various categories. Scroll through their questions. Each tip provides $1 to Operation Purple. So you help others think about saving with your ideas, and you help send a military child to camp for the summer. Win-Win-Win!Finally win something for yourself:
Can't wait to see your ideas! I know I'm learning right along side you. Now excuse me as I look through Target's latest ad.
How do you save? "A penny saved is a penny earned!" What is your best-saving tip, big or small? Head over to our Facebook Page and let us know! The idea / comment with the most ‘likes’ will win an iPod, courtesy of MilitaryAvenue.com and USAA, as part of our Rockin' the Avenue initiative. Responses must be posted to the original post & cannot be floating on the wall. Responses due by 2000hrs EST on 18 Feb 2011.
- Leanne from MilitaryAvenue.com