Tasty Tuesday: Smells, Sights and Tastes of Summer Potato Salad
I am a sucker for Heinen’s Potato Salad! But purchasing it from the deli can be quite a strain on the family grocery-budget. So I had a mission… make it myself. And I think I did it. It may not be “Heinen’s Signature Recipe” but it is mine now and I love it.
Leanne’s Smells, Sights and Tastes of Summer Potato Salad
4 to 5 Red Potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled
5 slices of bacon
One packet of Ranch Dressing Mix (8 oz)
1/2 Cup of Sour Cream
1/2 Cup of Mayonnaise
1/4 Cup of fresh chives, chopped
1/2 Cup of vidalia or red onion, chopped
1/2 Tablespoon dried-basil
Cut potatoes into quarters and place in large pot. Fill your pot with cold water just until potatoes are covered. Place pot on range and bring to a boil. After the water is boiling lower the temperature to medium and cover. Let potatoes cook just until tender when poked with a fork. (about 20 minutes)
Meanwhile, fry your bacon until crisp. When bacon is done place on paper-towel to absorb extra grease. Reserve 1/4 c of bacon grease from your pan.
When potatoes are ready drain and then pour 1/4 c of bacon grease from pan over freshly cooked potatoes while still in the colander. Remove one potatoes piece at a time and slice into 1/4 inch pieces. Refrigerate potato slices for about 2 hours.
Mix Ranch Mix, Sour Cream, Mayo, Onion and Chives in a bowl and refrigerate.
Crumble the cooked-slices of bacon. I used a food processor. Set aside.
After two-hours combine the ranch mix, bacon and the potatoes. Stir until the potatoes are coated. Place them in your serving bowl and top with basil. Serve and enjoy.
Don’t be afraid to be adaptive.
- No bacon on hand? Try bacon bits.
- Replace the sour cream with plain Greek Yogurt (It is healthier!)
- No fresh chives? How about green onions instead.
- If the thought of pouring bacon grease over your potatoes is terribly disturbing, don’t do it. (But I’m telling you… its delicious!)
- Some folks like hard boiled eggs in their salad. If you do, add them. What else do you think you would add?
Make this recipe your own.
Here’s to summer picnics, bratwurst, and watermelon. Water gun fights, sun tan lotion, and slip n slides. Family Reunions, church potlucks and sun-tea. Enjoy the sights, smells and sounds of the season with many opportunities to enjoy your own potato salad!
– Leanne from MilitaryAvenue.combyUnknownonTuesday, May 24, 2011Email ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to FacebookShare to PinterestMilitary Life:Leanne,Potatoes,Recipe,Salad,Tasty Tuesday