My boys have a favorite meal; Shrimp Scampi! Only trouble is Hubs HATES shrimp. SO we don’t do the shrimp ‘thing’ when he is home. However, he was in the field the past two weeks and so when I was meal planning it was easy enough to add the favorite meal to the menu!
The morning of the planned-meal came along and I made sure we had a bag of shrimp in the freezer … However, what I did NOT account for was the fact that we had opened the bag before and there were about 15 shrimp left. (15 divided by 3 … not nearly enough for my boys.) Oops… So I scrambled. The boys had been looking forward to it all day I couldn’t cancel. So improvisation came to visit and it made a DELICIOUS meal!
1 pound medium to large shrimp
3 cloves garlic, pressed
Fresh Vegetables; pick two or three of your favorites:
- Asparagus spears; cut each spear into 3 or 4 pieces. Bite size is more manageable and seems to be more appetizing to the kids.
- Pea Pods. We picked ours fresh from the garden that afternoon, but you can find them fresh in your produce section, too.
- a handful of Cherry Tomatoes, each cut in half. They add nice color to the plate.
- Fresh Green Beans
- Carrots, cut into sticks …
- Use your imagination. If it is fresh and in your fridge try it! (Improvising is the name of the game after all, right?)
1 TB lemon juice
1/2 stick butter
1/4 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
Shell shrimp if using fresh, or if frozen place in a colander and run under cool water until all ice is gone. I also cut off the tails because we don’t eat them. The more we have to ‘pick’ at our food at dinner the better!
I use my broiler pan base (with out the slotted part) to cook up this delicious concoction. Place shrimp in pan and dot with pads of butter. Pour vegetable mixture onto pan and spread-out veggies. Place under the broiler for 4 minutes. Remove, stir, place back in for 2 more minutes. Do not overcook.
By the way I have Gestational Diabetes and after this meal my blood-sugar was low! (YAY!) Just watch how much rice you eat if you are watching your carbs and fill up on the yummy-vegetables!
– Leanne from MilitaryAvenue.combyLeanne KocsisonTuesday, June 15, 2010Email ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to FacebookShare to PinterestMilitary Life:Leanne,Recipe,Shrimp